Safety is the primary emphasis when using this range. This cannot be over emphasized. Disregard of the rules may result in termination of membership. The following rules and regulations are to be observed by all members and guests when using this range:
FOUR CARDINAL SAFETY RULES
- Always consider all guns as “Loaded.”
- Always point the muzzle in a safe direction. Remember the “Laser Rule.”
- Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until your sights are on target and you have decided to fire.
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond (and around) it.
THE “Condition Check” RULE of SAFE GUN HANDLING
Whenever you pick up a gun that has been out of your direct control, even for an instant, open the action and see whether or not the gun is loaded.
SPECIFIC RANGE RULES
- Know and obey all range commands. Observe all signage! Communicate all intentions verbally and with eye contact! USE electronic safety system on Rifle line.
- Approved eye and ear protection is mandatory for all shooters and spectators on the line.
- No one is allowed to go forward of the firing line until all guns are safe and the command has been given to go forward by the designated range officer or by agreement of users. No gun handling is allowed while anyone is down range! Where provided, stay behind the yellow line until the range officer declares the range “hot.”
- During a cease-fire, remove the magazine, open the action, unload, place the safety on, and bench all firearms with the ejection port up. In the case of a handgun, it may be holstered. A loaded holstered pistol is considered safe.
- Store guns so that they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
- Shoot only at authorized targets. No glass targets or aerial targets are allowed. All targets must be cleaned up after each use and returned to their proper location! Broom-sweep the line!
- FRGC Target frames are to be used for holding targets and are not to be fired at deliberately. Don’t attach targets to the edge of wooden frames where the frame will be shot! No steel to be used at less than 11 yards!
- Maintain proper target height to ensure that the fired projectile, after passing through the target, will impact in the lower ¾ of the berm. Do not position targets on the top of the berms, shoot over berms and do not climb on the berms.
- No improvised or ground level targets are to be placed on the Rifle range between the firing line and the creek, or under 100 yards!
- Tracer or any ammunition considered to be incendiary or explosive is strictly prohibited. No Tannerite or like substances allowed on USFS lands. This includes Tannerite targets.
- Use of alcohol prior to or while using the range is prohibited and grounds for immediate termination as a member of this facility.
- No smoking is allowed in the shooting bays or in any of the buildings.
- Driving motorized vehicles through the ford on the rifle line is prohibited except when the stream bed is dry. Gate will be closed when water in creek. Speed limit is 10mph on facility! Always watch for pedestrians. The speed limit is 35mph on Fernan Lake Road.
- Clear inside and outside of shoot house on Bay-8 before and during use! Do not break the 180-degree rule when using it.
A. Members, and only spouses who have been safety checked, will be issued ID-cards which must be worn while at the facility.
B. Members are responsible for the actions of their family members and guests. Members (or spouses who have been safety checked) must accompany all family members and guests at all times. Guests can shoot only under the direct supervision of a member. Please supervise children.
C. Any member observing misuse of the range or dangerous practices should immediately report the incident to the Executive Committee at (208)-773-3624 or (509)-993-1508.
D. Vandalism should be reported immediately to the Sheriff’s office (208-446-1300 or 911) for immediate action. If you call them, call the Executive Committee. See “C” above.
E. This is a “Pack it in, Pack it out” facility. Please cleanup the facility and remove your used targets and trash before you leave. Do Not place trash containers or bags on the lines or anywhere else! This just creates a mess that other members have to clean up.
F. Members will use due diligence to prevent wild fires. This includes not using steel core ammo on steel targets. In the event that a wildfire does start, immediately call 911, and then make every reasonable effort to extinguish the fire using the various fire tools distributed around the facility. Fire extinguishers are located in the building. Garden hoses, shovels, and buckets are positioned in Bay-2 and on the back of the main outhouse across from Bay-7. Water hydrants are located near by. Once qualified emergency fire personnel arrive on the scene, they will be responsible for all further action on the fire.
G. Members are responsible for ensuring that all gates and buildings are closed and locked when leaving the range.
H. The parking area is located next to Bay 6 (pistol bay). Do not park behind the covered lines. The road behind the lines is for loading and unloading as well as maintenance and emergency access. No matter how parking is done, this lane must be accessible!
Disregard of any of these rules will result in immediate review of that member by the Executive Committee and could result in termination of membership.
I have read and understand completely the above regulations and agree to abide by them. I also understand that any changes and/or additions to these rules that may be necessary in the future and are properly posted and announced, will also apply as if they were included above.
I have reviewed the above regulations with the applicant and believe that he/she fully understands the importance of the range regulations and safe gun handling.
SAFETY OFFICER:________________________ Date:___________________